The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurens

New Member
Ok so for a bit of fun I thought I would do a Quack of the Year Award, whereby we nominate the most ludicrous inane nonsense and award them with a prestigious title.

How's it going to work?

- The submissions thread will be open until July 23rd, giving us two months to collect suggestions.
- The submissions will then be added to a round 1 poll whereby the least popular will be eliminated, the rest will go to round 2. I'm not sure how well this will take off so if there are loads of suggestions we might have to eliminate more than one per round just to get through it quicker.
- The rest will go through to round 2 and so on until we have a winner.
- Votes will be closed after 2 weeks in each of the rounds

The rules

- Submissions can be articles, audio soundbites, videos etc.
- Books do not count as the voters are unlikely to be able to access and read them.
- Content submitted has to be accessible to everyone
- Content submitted should be of reasonable length, an hour long video for example is probably too long for a lot of us to view so lets say 10 to 20 mins or so.
- Content submitted has to have been created/publicised in the last year
- Forum members may be submitted as candidates, but keep the rules in mind when doing so.

I have no idea whether this will catch on but I thought it might be fun to try. I may also do a Champion of Reason award for balance :D

If someone would like to design a trophy that would be awesome.

Get submitting guys and gals.
 

Laurens

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

Prolescum said:
I humbly submit Donald Trump for his views on mental health and vaccines. Also, climate change and his feelings on the EPA. He's apparently not fond of Planned Parenthood or the ACA. Imagine, he's barely months from the White House! [emoji38]





P.S. How about (instead of a trophy) I create a special one of these for the winner:

Good call sir.

Sounds cool. Do you think we should be allowed to nominate forum users too?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
 

Prolescum

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

Laurens said:
Sounds cool. Do you think we should be allowed to nominate forum users too?
As long as the site's rules are kept in mind, your game, your choice :)
 

Laurens

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

Prolescum said:
Laurens said:
Sounds cool. Do you think we should be allowed to nominate forum users too?
As long as the site's rules are kept in mind, your game, your choice :)

I think so, as long as it's not too mean spirited. I will amend the rules to make that clear.
 

Laurens

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

My nomination goes to Dave Murphy for making me brush up on my basics in refuting the flat earth bullshit:


Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any vicarious loss of IQ that you get from watching this video, or any physical harm caused through excessive face palming.
 

he_who_is_nobody

Active Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

I will be on the lookout. I have two people in mind, I just have to wait until they make a short video and stop holding hour(s) long hangouts.
 

Laurens

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

he_who_is_nobody said:
I will be on the lookout. I have two people in mind, I just have to wait until they make a short video and stop holding hour(s) long hangouts.
I await your candidates with glee.

I may amend the rules to state the quotes from videos are fine as long as the source is there for those who so wish to verify it.

Also more than one nomination per person is fine, the more submissions the more fun it will be.
 

Dustnite

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

I'm going with the "Health Ranger" Mike Adams. There's something about anti-vaxxers that draws a visceral response from me... He runs probably the #1 anti science website on the net:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHealthRanger/videos

http://www.naturalnews.com/


This video has everything from woo to Nazis, hits all the top 10 quack points! Did I mention he's an AIDS denialist? I'll take my trophy now...
 

he_who_is_nobody

Active Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

President Trump and the Health Ranger, damn. I need to step my game up. The two I had in mind are not in their league.
 

Rando

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

I know how low brow it is to pick an obvious candidate but I nominate Andrew Wakefield. He is directing a "documentary" based on his lies, and it is going to get a dvd release. I think he's relevant because it's 2016 and he is still peddling his lies to anyone who will listen and judging by it's viewer count it is getting attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdCU2DfMBpU

The "Health Ranger" is bad but he is merely a carrier of the disease of ignorance, Wakefield is patient zero. This disease has a body count, Wakefield's crap is killing people and he doesn't care so long as he keeps making money and getting press.
 

MarsCydonia

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

Are the nominations limited to fields of science or are submissions about theological or philosophical quakery also accepted?
 

Laurens

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

MarsCydonia said:
Are the nominations limited to fields of science or are submissions about theological or philosophical quakery also accepted?
I think the quackery is as broad as you like. The main criteria is that when someone rational hears the claims made, they facepalm.
 

Laurens

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

Any more offerings?

Just under a month till nominations close.
 

Dragan Glas

Active Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

Greetings,
he_who_is_nobody said:
I am going to nominate the Trump of the U.K., Boris Johnson.
Agreed - but Trump trumps Boris.

Kindest regards,

James
 

hackenslash

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

Laurens said:
My nomination goes to Dave Murphy for making me brush up on my basics in refuting the flat earth bullshit:


Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any vicarious loss of IQ that you get from watching this video, or any physical harm caused through excessive face palming.
Hang on. This idiot wants us to turn Hubble around to look at Earth, failing to understand that, if the planet were not a rotating spheroid, Hubble couldn't actually stay in orbit, but thinks the planet is flat?

What a fucking moron.

Honestly, don't ever put me on telly, because I'll fuck these cretins up the ass, and I don't fucking mean donkey.
 

Laurens

New Member
Re: The League of Reason's Quack of the Year 2016 Submission

hackenslash said:
Laurens said:
My nomination goes to Dave Murphy for making me brush up on my basics in refuting the flat earth bullshit:


Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any vicarious loss of IQ that you get from watching this video, or any physical harm caused through excessive face palming.
Hang on. This idiot wants us to turn Hubble around to look at Earth, failing to understand that, if the planet were not a rotating spheroid, Hubble couldn't actually stay in orbit, but thinks the planet is flat?

What a fucking moron.

Honestly, don't ever put me on telly, because I'll fuck these cretins up the ass, and I don't fucking mean donkey.
I watched some of the video a while back as I was linked to it by a friend of mine.

Its one of the worst Gish-gallops that I've ever seen.

Unfortunately the friend who linked it was taken in by it. He still hasn't responded to the picture I've sent that shows the moon being flipped in different hemispheres, or the video I sent of a ship going over the horizon....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top